This week (October 14, 2019) on our Twitter chat, #SayftyChat, we discussed “Addressing Stereotypes in Media To Achieve Gender Equality” with Dan Seymour & The UnStereotype Alliance. This week’s chat was focused on the role media can play in achieving gender equality.
We had participants join the chat from Nairobi, India, US, Canada, UK, Columbia, and South Africa.
- How does advertising and branding perpetuate stereotypes?
- Why is a stereotypical portrayal of gender in advertising and branding harmful for gender equality?
- Advertising can shape perceptions. Share an ad that changed your mind or perception about something. Why?
- How is stereotyping one of the biggest barriers to gender equality?
- How can organizations work consistently to disrupt stereotypes and engage diverse constituencies on gender equality?
- How can we aim to foster an unsterotype culture and create unstereotyped content?