This week (June 24, 2019) on our Twitter chat, #SayftyChat, we discussed “Women Safety in Sports” with Dr. Becky Clark, Shannon L. Galpin, Adrienne McCord, and Shireen Ahmed. This week’s chat was focused on how to ensure equal pay in sports as well as zero tolerance towards sexual harassment and violence against women.
We had participants join the chat from Nairobi, India, US, Canada, UK, Columbia, and South Africa.
- Sexual harassment in sports is rampant. Why do you think young athletes are particularly vulnerable to abuse?
- Equal pay is still a reality for women in sports. Why is that the case?
- How can we ensure there is a zero tolerance policy towards violence against women in sports?
- How do social and cultural norms impact girls and women in sports?
- How can sports be used to promote SDGs?
If you missed the twitter chat on Women Safety in Sports, here is the recap:
#SayftyChat is a weekly, hour-long, Twitter chat created by Sayfty to explore topics related to women’s safety and prevention of violence against women. So every Monday at 11:00 am ET, we invite an organization/guest that joins us in raising awareness on women’s issues. We field questions to them and to you, the #SayftyChat community. Together, we answer these questions and engage in a dialogue on topics related to women’s safety and ending violence against women.